Saturday, January 13, 2007

AWAW: Venerable

Every now and then you hear someone describes a "venerable" it sounds like a good thing, but what does it really mean?

venerable

adj.


  1. Commanding respect by virtue of age, dignity, character, or position.

  2. Worthy of reverence, especially by religious or historical association: venerable relics.

  3. Venerable (Abbr. Ven. or V.)

    1. Roman Catholic Church. Used as a form of address for a person who has reached the first stage of canonization.
    2. Used as a form of address for an archdeacon in the Anglican Church or the Episcopal Church.





Wordnet says it like this:

Meaning #1: impressive by reason of age

Meaning #2: profoundly honored


Looks like quite a useful word, and one that is in reasonably comon use. So give it a try next time you meets someone that commands your respect :)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger C4 said...

I'll have to remember to use this the next time I speak to my parents.

I also have favorite words and since I wanted to better know myself and others, I joined favoritewords.com - take a look, you might like that site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home